Saturday, August 3, 2013

Death Comes to Pemberley

Fan Fiction/Murder Mystery
by P.D. James

What do you think about fan fiction? I find that I'm usually a little dismayed. I read it because I want to re-enter a world that originally enchanted me, in this case Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Once I'm there, though, no matter how good the writing or how close to my original vision of the characters the story stays, it's not the same. Duh, you say. It's not the same writer so it can't be the same. And I might even have the same problem with some sequels that ARE by the same writer. But still. Something lacks.

I have to admit, I have read seven, count them, SEVEN, fan fiction follow ups to Pride and Prejudice. It's one of my top all time favorite books, mini series, movies, love stories. I partially named my daughter after Elizabeth Bennett and would probably name our next child after Fitzwilliam Darcy if my husband would let me. The first three books I read comprised a very stately, Austen-worthy series from the point of view of Mr. Darcy during the same time period (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman by Pamela Aiden) and then another three that were much bawdier and followed up the story after the marriage (Pride and Prejudice Continues by Linda Berdoli), the third of which I reviewed here. I have yet to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, although my husband enjoyed it. Zombies scare me. Anyway, my view of this book may be tempered by the others, which I think I enjoyed more because they were more about Darcy and Elizabeth. This one is a murder mystery, plain and simple, in Austen's language.

All that said, I still chose to read this one over the NINE library books I have on my shelf right now. I just love Austen. The most satisfying part in this story was the ending, after you find out who the murderer is, as Elizabeth and Darcy are consoling each other and wrapping it all up. It gives the ending that Austen shorted us in the original P and P, the "Why did you think that?" and "I'm sorry I was such a bugger, but I loved you almost all along" conversation. The rest is just a plain murder mystery in Regency wrappings.

No comments:

Post a Comment