Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Sinners and the Sea: The Untold Story of Noah's Wife

Biblical historical fiction
by Rebecca Kanner

I think I've mentioned before that genres seem to be getting both more and less specific. Knowing an incremental amount about publishing now, I think it has to do with the success and marketing of certain books. Here's a perfect example. I'm not sure if this book really qualifies even as historical fiction. I mean, it's the story of Noah's wife and so technically, it centers on a historical event and attributes fictional thoughts, motives, and dialogue to historical characters, but it's not as clear cut as, say, Ken Follett's Century Trilogy with dates and names and battles and such. On the other hand, adding the tagline biblical historical fiction is kind of making up a genre. Admittedly, I am the one calling it that, not the publishers, but it seems fitting and descriptive in that this book is very much like The Red Tent and I think tries to capitalize on that success.

All that said, I think it's a cool premise. Take an unnamed woman in a biblical story and make a whole novel about her.

It was hard not to compare to The Red Tent as I read and I don't think this is even close in quality of writing or story, but it was still compelling. Partway through the book I stopped and re-read Genesis Chapter 6 through whatever, about Noah and the flood, and realized his wife truly gets very little mention, as do his sons' wives, even though without them the point of the ark would be moot. The fleshing out of these women seems important after reading the biblical narrative, and while I didn't LOVE the characters like in TRT they are admirable and realistic. The women, that is. The men kind of suck.

And the same goes for the expansion of the story of the ark and flood and just plain biblical times. What gets a few chapters in the Bible is told in hundreds of pages here, so it's much more...fleshy. The dramatic and horrific sins of the people, the overzealous righteousness of Noah, the supposed giants living in the land and legends of them, the every day rigors of living in a tent and killing your own goats for meat. It's all there, sometimes in expected and what seems to me realistic and sometimes in unexpectedly dark or crass or just plain crazy descriptions and anecdotes. I didn't bother to read Kanner's acknowledgements at the end so I don't know how much research she did for the book and how much is imagination. I don't really care. It's her book and she can tell it how she wants, but man was some of that stuff crazy, like cannibalism and drunk children and fields of dead people.

The other part that was hard to separate from my mind as I read is a more postmodern reading of the Old Testament, truly paying attention to how wrathfully God is described and how it was apparently His will to kill everyone on Earth (or in the Middle East, depending on how literal you are reading). It's not the God I know and it's hard to understand. I had to remind myself that this was a fictional retelling and I can't really know what happened and that my faith is not based on only Old Testament crazy but New Testament love and redemption. Cause otherwise...yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment