Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Third Son

Novel by Julie Wu

I'm glad I do this for free and don't really have to think of much to say about this book to reach a word quota and earn my money. Actually, the money would be nice. However, this book was boring and I'd have to dig pretty deep to find thoughts to share. Here's the minimum:

The cover is pretty. The title is catchy. The premise is good. Neglected third son of a Taiwanese government official meets pretty girl during World War II air raid and then struggles to find her again and make good in life. Specifically, he goes to school in America and struggles to succeed as a scientist of some kind that I still don't really understand.

I think what I didn't like was the writing style and lack of any plot other than what I already described. Basically, the blurb writer did an excellent job selling the book on the inside cover, but the attraction ended there for me. The main character is kind of whiny and never really learns to let go of wanting his parents' approval or to trust himself. And while I like learning about other cultures, I think the writer assumes the reader will know more than I do about Taiwanese culture, which is heavily influenced by both the Chinese and Japanese. And the science totally lost me. Sorry, Ms. Wu. I don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment