Monday, September 24, 2012

The Master Butcher's Singing Club

Novel by Louise Erdrich

I started this book just after a new school year began, which is always a time of hope and renewal for me. I finished it this weekend in the midst of a very frustrating and energy-sapping time, the smoke-filled atmosphere that my hometown is experiencing due to uncontrollable brush fires. I think that change aptly describes the path of this story, going from a time of hope and new beginnings for a German man immigrating to America after World War I to the Great Depression and disillusionment of World War II.

Fidelis Waldvogel, the title master butcher, brings his young family to a midwestern American town and works quite hard to assimilate them and make a life there. Eva, his wife, is a loving and lovable German woman who befriends the town drunk's adult daughter, Delphine, who has returned to try to take care of her father and create a respectable life for herself and her pretend husband, Cyprian. The book jacket describes these relationships as a collision, but it's really more of a sinking as they all come together. In fact, despite the mischievous title and occasional pithy description, the whole story sort of oozes along. There are some mysteries and intriguing characters and shocking moments, but it's not enough somehow.  I needed to love the characters more or for the plot to flow along faster, I think. Or maybe just less description of slaughtering animals.

It's sort of ironic: my sister in law says this blog has made her a lazy reader because I just tell her what books to read. For me, on the other hand, I've become much more aware of myself as a reader and what I need from a book. I hope it makes me a better writer. I'm taking mental notes. Note to self: write something that I would enjoy reading myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment