Sunday, June 24, 2012

The School of Essential Ingredients

Novel by Erica Bauermeister

Warning: Do not read this book if you are on a liquid diet, allergic to multiple types of food, out of groceries or grocery money, stranded on a desert island, or in any other way incapable of eating. Because oh. my. goodness. This book's descriptions of pumpkin ravioli, baked crab with butter, tiramisu, and other rich goodness will send you straight to the freezer for your emergency stash of Reese's miniatures if you're not careful. Thankfully for me, I read this book while spending the weekend at my family's cabin, eating my mother's cooking and drinking lots of wine. My laptop is now resting on the gentle hill of my stomach while I write.

This yummy book was a recommendation from my aunt Barb when I was in need of a light read. It's a different kind of light for me--not fun-beach-reading-light but heart-warming-and-poignant light. It reminds me of a Maeve Binchy book; a group of strangers who all have their own issues meet at a monthly cooking class and find their lives intersecting in more and more intimate ways. Many start out sad or disenfranchised but everyone ends up happy. It's a classic plot but with delicious menus and lots of food-is-love-metaphor.

I also like that the author is a Seattle-ite. I didn't realize it was set in the Pacific Northwest at first, but reading the description of the restaurant where the cooking class takes place, it all felt so...familiar. The front garden, cozy and elegant 10-top restaurant, and locally grown food seem like a place I've been on San Juan Island and other places I've seen around the Seattle area. Do you know the type I mean? My husband loves them. He thinks atmosphere is as important as food at a restaurant.

It must be a foodie kind of weekend, because at the cabin my mom was reading a book called The Cookbook Collector. We both finished and swapped books, so I guess I'm in for some more overeating this week.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's a good one. I'm re-reading Maeve Binchy's Scarlet Feather (about a catering company) because I wanted more heart-warming-foodiness,

      Delete