Wednesday, June 4, 2014

I can't remember anything anymore

What was the last book you read and what did you think about it? And the one before that? And the two or three before that? Sorry, sorry, didn't mean to stress you out, just looking for a little solidarity here. Because I can't remember anything anymore. Really, anything. I used to be so on top of things and then my third child came along and now I have mush for brains. So I thought it would be okay, I could keep blogging and maybe even write creatively now and again. Nope. The last time I blogged I couldn't even remember the title of two books in a row. This time I'm pretty sure I can remember the last two books I've read but not so much what I thought about them. You're going to have to help me out here.

The Invention of Wings
Novel by Sue Monk Kidd

I do remember the first book I read by this author, The Secret Life of Bees, which was delightful, and her second, The Mermaid Chair, which I almost hated. It was really weird. My mom liked it so maybe I judge too harshly but I remember being pretty put off, though I couldn't tell you why. This book, her third novel, seems very different from both of her previous books, but I liked it. I remember that much, anyway. The cover is deceiving, in my opinion. I think it looks like a more flimsy story, maybe about an island and some girl who learns something about herself over the summer. Something about the title and the birds makes me think that. This book, however, is nearly the opposite of that. It's almost heavy in its well-researched fictionalization of a historical figure, a Southern woman who worked for the anti-slavery movement and women's rights, and her (I think entirely fictional) slave-slash-friend. It also dwelled on Quakerism for a while, reminded me of The Last Runaway in that regard. And that's all I've got. I remember having some pretty important thoughts while reading it, something about women's rights then and today, and writing fiction versus non-fiction, and some clever things to say about symbolism. But it's gone. At least I got the title right.

The Language of Flowers
Novel by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Okay, I may be able to do better on this one because I just finished it two days ago, and I really loved it. It was easy and homey and yet educational all at once. The main character, Victoria, is a foster child aging out of the system and transitioning to living on her own. She embraces her new freedom by living in a park, surrounded by plants, the only things she knows anymore after years of group homes. She amazingly finds a job at a florist and begins an emotional journey opening up (slowly) to people who want to help her and going back in her memories to the one foster home she loved, where she learned to communicate through flowers.

What fascinated me about this is the psyche of the narrator, who has attachment disorder. She doesn't trust anyone and can hardly even talk, except in an outdated language of the romantic meaning of flowers. She makes irrational decisions that seem to make complete sense when you hear it from her point of view. She shrinks from touch and steals and destroys yet lovingly prepares bouquets for strangers. I'd almost find it unbelievable if I didn't have students who exhibit the same strange array of emotional disturbance and endearing traits. I love that Diffenbaugh brings two disparate ideas together: flowers and foster care. I knew little about either, at least little compared to the depth of emotional understanding presented by the book. But don't get me wrong, it's not in the least bit overwhelming. Maybe intense at times, but pleasantly so. You just have a feeling, with all the people who are pulling for Victoria at the time of the story, that it's going to work out for her.

If only that were so for all our foster kids.

Whew. Maybe I do have a few brain cells left. Just a few. But please, please, please, comment on the last few books you read and what was memorable about them. It will make me feel better to know I'm not the only one with short term memory loss and it will give me books to stock up on for summer!

6 comments:

  1. Have you read 7 by Jen Hatmaker yet? It's non-fiction but it's fabulous. Intriguing, challenging, funny. I highly recommend it even though it doesn't fall under the "fun summer reading" category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about 7 and I love Jen Hatmaker's blog. I don't usually read those kinds of books because they make me feel like I should do something. I'm too tired to do something. But maybe if I read it to be inspired and not so much change my life around, I could handle it. A few weeks after school gets out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started using a Kindle and now I can't remember the Titles of the books I read! because I never see them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love my kindle. Can see the titles even after returning them to the library. Best book I've read lately is Unbreakable by Laura Hillenbrand, about an Olympic athlete who became a WWII bombardier. Really well written and an incredible story. I then read Seabiscuit by that same author which was also good. Cuckoos calling by JK Rowling under nom de plume was a good detective story. Help for the haunted by john searles was interesting and not what I expected. Thanks for the recommendations, I got language of flowers and will start it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard great things about Unbroken! I'll check it out! Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know! I realized, after using my kindle, I love title pages and dedication pages and tables of contents. ..nerd alert.

    ReplyDelete