Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Paris Wife

Novel (ish) by Paula McLain

Novelish? What does that mean? It means another "true novel," one written in novel form with plot and dialogue, but based on letters and journals by real life people. In this case, Ernest Hemingway and his first wife, Hadley Richardson, are the real people. That sentence sounds false to me, though, because this book brings these real people to life more than they ever could have been in a historical account, and because Hadley becomes so much more than Hemingway's "first wife." That may be how history remembers her, but not so for anyone who reads this book.

I have to admit not knowing much about Hemingway or his writing. I know from literature classes that his writing was revolutionary in its simplicity and starkness and truth, and from pop culture movies that he was part of a hard-partying American artist community in the 1920's in Paris. I've only read a few of his stories, though, and none of his novels because I find his writing too sharp and dark. I guess it goes hand in hand with his depression/alcoholism and PTSD from World War I. Not for me, thanks.

The idea of this book, however, brings to life not just Hemingway but mostly his first wife, Hadley. They have similar upper middle class backgrounds in the United States but move to Paris for his writing career shortly after marrying. She keeps him grounded for a while, supporting his career and moving him toward the right decisions with friends and finances, but the very fact that she is his "first wife" tells us that eventually they divorce. There are three very short scenes from Hemingway's point of view that hint to us that it's his infidelity that drives the wedge, in addition to Hadley's own voice telling what she wished she'd known then and so on. You know from the beginning that this will have a sad ending.

What I wish I knew more is how much McLain's writing style mimics Hemingway's. Like I said, I haven't read very much by him and don't want to, mostly for the content. But this book seems to copy what I understand is his style in that it's very much to the point and journalistic, a simple retelling of events, while somehow also weaving a picture of the dazzling European scenes, the hectic and confusing post-war times, the conflicting emotions, the lavishness of their neighbors contrasted with the poverty that is their life. It's kind of remarkable.

I don't think I'll be reading Hemingway as a result of this book, though. I've had enough of him; he might be an amazing historical and literary figure but he's also a total ass. He makes his wife blame herself for his indiscretion and sucks up all the air and life around him. He WAS her life and I'm tired of thinking about him when I should be thinking about her. So there.

One thing I wonder is: how do they go on so many vacations even though they bemoan their poverty all the time? And hire a housekeeper and a nanny? Is it the place or the time or what? I wish I could have a nanny and vacation at the French Riviera. I wouldn't trade it for my non-cheating marriage, but still, sounds nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment