Monday, April 2, 2012

Run

Novel by Ann Patchett

"When an argument in a blinding New England snowstorm inadvertently causes an accident that involves a stranger and her child, all Bernard Doyle cares about is his ability to keep his children--all his children--safe."

So reads the inside flap of this 2007 novel. Because of this snippet, I almost didn't read the book. I am incredibly vulnerable to stories of injury to children right now. For example, I was perusing the first few pages of a very trendy Christian inspiration book, came to a scene where the author's sister dies at a young age, and slammed the book down.  These kinds of images just cause my anxiety to flare and I really don't need that in my life right now. But....I started reading this book anyway, with trepidation, and I'm glad I did. Because really, there is none of that in the story. This quote is misleading--it stirs up ideas of drama that isn't in the book at all. Sure, there's an accident and some injuries, but the children are never really in danger. There's other drama, better drama, but not the heart-palpitation-inducing drama that I don't want to hear about right now.

And I'm glad I got past the cover, because this book is another rich one from Patchett. After I read State of Wonder, Patchett's newest, I asked you which others you would recommend. My friend Marie replied that Run was her favorite, and I can easily see why it appeals to her. As usual, Patchett explores some universal issues in sensitive ways. The ones in this book, social justice and adoption, are close to Marie's heart. It's also as fast-paced as the other books, which is a must for busy moms who choose between reading and sleep. I wondered as I finished, though, why I still liked Bel Canto better than this one. Maybe because Bel Canto was my first experience with her writing and a total surprise. Maybe it's because this one was set in Boston and didn't have that other-world quality. Maybe it's that intangible something about some books that just grab us, and it's different for each reader. So don't be discouraged from reading this book based on my opinion--it may be your favorite.

As I started with a quote, I'll end with one as well. This is also from the cover, and is miles better at describing the heart of this story: "It shows us how worlds of privilege and poverty can coexist only blocks from each other, and how family can include people you've never even met."

No comments:

Post a Comment